Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Do not read this if you like cyclocross.

Today started as well as it could have- thanks to Brent Chapman holding our spots on the line we ended up getting a 4th row start in a field of 107 starters. The gun went off and away we went.

Simon and I were riding together for much of the race, in probably around 25th-30th group. Simon got a front flat and rode to the pits for his other bike, and after that he said he felt terrible and couldn't get back. I rode really hard to not get dropped and I did what I could to make some passes.

I had some light cramping throughout the race and started feeling pretty shitty on the last lap. I got dropped from the group that I was in which included Ryan Leech, Chris McGovern and Johs Huseby and Jeremy Powers. I tried not to go too slow after that, and noone caught me. I doubt I was in the top 30.

On the last lap I was getting the blackouts kind of and feeling pretty bonked. I felt like a dead skeleton that was buried in the graveyard down the road in 1659. It's tough to describe exactly how shitty I felt after the race. I could have puked had there been anything in my stomach. I was in a daze and I was disappointed in my race, although not as pissed as Simon.

I'm pretty tired of sucking at cross. I absolutely went inside out for a 30 something place finish today. I've forgotten exactly why I've spent all my money and time for this shit, for the last few years. If you're not even competitive in the race, it's not really that sweet. I feel like I've been working really, really hard for the last few years and if things don't turn around this year I will have to do some hard thinking about this crap.

Enough crying, I'm off to pedal the trainer for a while and try and prepare for tomorrow.

13 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger swiggco world said...

Sneady boy. 1st,31st or 101st, we still are behind you 100%, not like Foley or a Greek uncle, like the team that gives more than one crap about you. This sounds like a really freakishly hard race....think of Justin Robinson about 25 places behind you......a reigning national champion. No shit, it probably feels pretty empty for you guys but there are a lot of other races yet to do and both of you guys are way better than you showed today. Stay away from those clams and things will be better, I promise. Shimano has some shoes for us !!! can you believe it? They came through...some 959 pedals as well for the Timberwolf. Tomorrow is another day. Get some rest, cheers. Swiggboss.

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sending my Tantric Wolf powers your way. Bark at the moon and just giv'er. Any more crying and I will begin circling your carcass and devour your entrails.

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rest up little buddy, tomorrow's another day...

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

most important thing a bike racer can have?

... a short term memory.


There is always another race. Always. And you ain't found your potential yet, j. relax, ride smart, never give up.
m

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

and then come home and race some Limbo cross

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Thanks gang. Ironically, we did go to a seafood place and it was not I but Simon who ate the clams. I'm hopeful that all will end well with that. I'm not ready to call it quits just yet and I plan to ride my insides out again tomorrow. I definitely have a short memory...

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

patience.....are you peaking for October or December? This was one race on one day in one weekend. Tomorrow is another day....and it might suck too. But it might not. And either way, you know you gave it everything you had on that one day.

Olaf is right -- short-term memory loss is a blessing.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Jeremy Burlingame said...

Man, I just looked at the results, the top 30 is the like the who's who of USA Cyclocross. I think thats a great way to start the season, stay healthy and focused and come Nats you'll do even better.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Brent said...

Yah. I think you guys need to remember the glouster race last year was another month later. This is Super Early.
You rode hard, these Road guys are SUPER fit right now.
Keep it together, you and simon are my heros.

master Chaps your dedicated pit boy.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. A 35th and a 33rd. Not a bad weekend for early october, in a field of 110 people! EVERYBODY at this level spends a shitload of time, effort, and tears to be this good. You're up against people who are doing this full time. Think about it, can you really feel bad about saying you're one of the 35 best in the country at anything? Best of luck for continued results, and remember:'cross is fun!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger greain said...

How do you think I feel over here??? Keep it up. What all the others said...GR

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Zoo said...

did sunday go any better?

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Barb said...

I did forget to mention Brent's flawless performance in the pits, he styled us out with the best possible starting spots by standing around with the "A" bikes on the line while we warmed up. His bike change for Simon on saturday sounds like it was textbook.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone- No, sunday was almost exactly the same as saturday... I lost about 5 spots on the last lap and ended up 33rd. Simon also suffered deeply and looked like warmed over death after the race.

I'm in Maine now and getting ready for the New Gloucester races. It's a lot of fun to be back to the town I went to highschool in so I'll post about my new home for the week soon enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home