Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

And so, the punishment begins.

First UCI race here in the Hamptons, it was pretty rough. I had an alright start, I tried not to kill myself and just stay steady for a few laps. I had a 2nd row call-up so I was pretty set up for success. I was solidly in the top 15 after the first 2 laps and I was in a decent group. There was a bit of back and forth with some fellows that were catching up, Troy Wells tried a hilarious pass on the steep switchbacks- he's staying with us and he and I were talking earlier about him trying something like that last year and getting sent into the tape, which I think was actually me... it was pretty sweet.

So, I was riding clean and having a bit of trouble with a kind of stomach ache that I was hoping would go away. Unfortunately, I totally bit the shit on an off camber bit just before the course came back to the pavement. It stunned me a bit and I got up and rode to the pits for a change so I didn't have to try and straighten my bars. I spent a lap trying to decide wether to keep racing- that was a mistake. I saw the promoter on the sidelines and asked how deep he was paying... 30 deep so I kept on riding... Simon came by me with a couple other guys and I wasn't really able to keep on so I tried to plug it up some and make it hard for the guys who were with him. I made at least one of those guys accellerate a couple extra times before I got broke off.

After that I resigned myself to some tough training and finished up the race in 21st. Got my entrance fee back, so that's good. I expect that tomorrow will be more of the same, but unfortunately it is a cat.2 and points only go 10 deep. I'm just determined to get some solid 1 hour races under my belt at this point and hopefully I'll be good next week... It's going to suck because they are doing call-ups based on points accumulated this year, so I'll likely be in the scrum with my elbows out. Oof.

3 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger swiggco world said...

That's the spirit. Resiliancy is a good thing in this game. Bravo, 21st , even with a hard crash. What happened with Dave Wyandt? Just curious. Sounds like Simon cracked the top 20. Schweeeeeeeet. Cheers, swiggboss.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Barb said...

This is starting to look like a training weekend for me. Oh well, I don't feel too bad tonight. Maybe I'll be better tomorrow. Wyandt had a tough day and was 25th.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger swiggco world said...

Dude, it ain't training.....your buddies need you to be a race-mo-fo. Crack it open......there's ducats,photographers,barriers, all sorts of stuff indicating a race-not to mention your own personal sacrafice to get there....yeah, easy for me to say sitting in the comfort of my home....well, phooey on me ! Go race! It'll put a smile on your face,err,frown.....just think of a good song while youre out there suffering. That's what I'll do today in my own little rinky-dink race. Cheers, swiggboss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home