Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Southampton, day 2

Today was a bit better than yesterday. I felt pretty ok when I woke up and warmup was easy enough so I figured I was ready to go. I didn't kill myself at the start and was about 15 deep when we hit the hill. I kept cool because I knew people would be crashing and messing up since it rained last night and this morning and there were some fairly tricky places on the track.

Sure enough, I found myself in the top ten after a lap or so after I rode around some flailers. As the laps went on, I lost a few spots but I managed to keep the top 10 in sight and was still feeling fairly chipper. Sure enough I saw Simon coming up in my rear view mirror with Ryan Leech in tow so I thought we could have a little fun at Ryan's expense. As they made contact, Simon and I hatched a plan and we started taking turns on Ryan.

At this point, I was feeling good and I wa pretty sure that we could drop the hell out of Ryan and bring back Matt (cyclo)Kraus in order to get at least one of us in the points.

Unfortunately, Simon ended up accidentally chopping me as we went into a corner/dip and I rolled my front tire... What a suck! I've never rolled a tire so I didn't see that one coming. I popped the rolled part back on as I was on the runup, but I had to nurse it to the pits for a bike change. I got passed up by a couple guys during this fiasco and ended up battling with a dude that I thought I'd totally whipped... He got me by the end and I was 16th. Simon held it together for 11th.

The Timberwolf (Dave Wyandt) was our HRS-Rocklobster team rider of the day, riding into 17th place after a rather discouraging ride yesterday. Dave was as bummed as I was after our dismal performances yesterday so it's good to see that all of us improved on day 1's rough start. Top 20 for all mobsters in attendance!

I felt a lot better today and I feel that I'm on the upswing. Hopefully I'll be good for next weekend. I'd better be, since I'm not getting a call-up! Bitch!

5 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger swiggco world said...

you guys are my fuckin' heroes ! Way to bust out some good racing. I'm sure you'll be flying at the big G-ster.Hey, is Metxger out there? Just a theory.......Shelley and Stella ( sick with a cold ) almost beat Kerly today. Shelley was exceptional. She has the power to win many races. She probably could have wone today with a little more experience.Rona won the "B's" , Hoopdy led the mens race with Justin and Cameron. He faded later on but A.K. caught him and they worked together effectively and finished 4th and 5th. Dodgeball hung in there for 11th, one of his best ever finishes. I think Jeff Patton got 15th. The team is rolling good right now. Hey, I wasn't last yet again....close but not last. Cheers, swiggboss.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Killer! It's good to hear that that our fellow Rock Mobsters are holding it down on the home turf. No Mexger to be seen. I'm certain that Shelly will be showing Sarah her back tire in no time! Hoopty is probably riding a lot better now that he's given me all his records, I think those things were weighing him down. As soon as I get home I'm gonna put them to use too. Good work on your non-dfl finish Swiggs, I knew you could do it!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Brent said...

go boys go!

See you in a few days. Letme know if you need me to fly out any shit.

Yah Rob, AK, Shelly,and stella. Damn Rona and Dodgeball!

time for me to exit the bench with my Single and try to drop some flies.
-chapco

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Hooptie said...

Nice work! The seafoam armada in in effect from coast to coast. How deep do the UCI points go?

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Zoo said...

nice job. I'm sure Ryan appreciated you two taking turns attacking him :P too bad it didn't last, better luck next weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home