Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

More epic norcal action!

Well, I had another good weekend but there were some snags...

Yesterday was LARPD #? in Livemore. I showed up late and just put my slithersuit on and raced with no warmup or course inspection. Dang,11:30- I was pretty sure the race was supposed to go off at noon.

Anyway, I just bided my time and only attacked a couple times in the middle part of the race. I just tried to get warmed up for the first few. It was me, Henry Kramer and "mountain" Larry Hibbard off the front for most of the race; we were joined by Jason Rawles later on in the race after we'd dropped Larry. Anyway, on the last lap it was just me and Henry.

I out maneuvered him in the last few corners and I was set up perfectly after the final set of barriers for the last 180 before the very short finishing straight. Henry tried going inside just before this corner and I shut the door on him... we were leaning on each other a little because I kept my line and didn't back down... He was a little chapped after the race but we talked it over- he was acting cheeky and I just rode my way around that final turn. A decent win and a nice prep for today.

Today's Pilarcitos race at Candlestick was a great track on a beautiful day. The plan was to get away at the start with my teamamtes Dave Wyandt and Aron O'Dell and work together to beat Justin Robinson, who's riding well right now and is just ahead of Dave and I in the Pilarcitos series overall.

I was on time to the race today, but late to the start. After warming up, I took a piss and dropped off my jersey in the car, rolled on the suit and headed to the start. Whoa, everyone's lined up... no prob, I'm second callup, they'll let me in... As I'm walking my bike on its back wheel through the bunch the gun goes off... Oh, boy...

I was maybe 30 deep, maybe more. There seemed to be a lot of riders. I started getting wicked; dodging, yelling and flailing through the dust and mayhem. Somehow, by the end of the lap I was on Dave's wheel and we're sitting 5th and 6th. We move through a few more riders and begin clawing our way back up to Justin and Aron, the only one from our team to make the move. We make contact with Justin just as Aron gets a flat on the fastest part of the course... bye Aron...

The rest of the race was really tough for me, the first lap kicked my ass. I couldn't do much attacking, but Dave went away and I got in front of Justin and went slow for the tech parts of the track and let him chase on the straightaways.

This went on for a couple laps till Justin brought Dave back. We slowed after that for a while, but eventually Justin attacked and we stayed on him. Dave got another try or two in and eventually I started feeling alright again and went deep on the paved section. I went too hard- I was turning the 12t cog as fast as I could and I almost lost traction in the dirt section before the finish. I looked back to see a good gap, I was told I had 20 seconds! If this had been the last lap, I might have been able to hold it together but as it was- my eyes started rolling back in my head. I was caught again after a half a lap.

But I didn't go out the back door! I stayed on Justin and Dave and fought through to the last lap. I wanted to try and sprint with Justin and just not get dropped in that lap before the end. Didn't happen, I crashed in a corner and limped in for 3rd. Dave was 2nd. GAWDAMMIT! We got handled by Justin, I can't believe how close we got after our mishaps (Dave was behind an early crash). Very hard race for me, hardest this year. I think today might have been one of my fastest days ever, I feel very fit and I think I can beat Justin soon. Justin is a very good competitor and one of the most well rounded riders I know, I just want to beat him once this year!

Anyway, it was a great weekend and I'm glad I stayed local instead of going to the UCI race in L.A. Barb went there and was 2nd after Rachel Lloyd, so that's good. I saw lots of friends and got to chill at the Rock Lobster tent to watch the women. I brought my portable turntable so it was fun to play some records for everyone and swill some beer. My parents were out watching and my dad was taking pictures so they had a great time. Next weekend will be sweet, it's the Velo Bella Surf City Halloween race!

2 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . just ahead of Dave and me. ME, not I. Grammar counts.
:E

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Brent said...

I and you.

You got a big target to catch.
justin has years of this and doesnt make many mistakes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home