Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

A cold got me.

Oh, it sucks to catch a cold when I'm feeling fast. Hopefully it will pass quickly, I'm looking forward to this weekend's Pilarcitos race.

While not training for the last few days I did some bike work. I like how this one came out, I have fun setting cross bikes up.



These Jagwire brake pads seem nice and look cool with the Paul brake.



I use a little hanger from the lower stem faceplate bolt for the front brake cable routing.



Those tires are Challenge Grifo 34's- pretty much the ultimate Nor-Cal sneaker- on some old Bontrager race-lite tubular wheels. Otherwise it's a solid Shimano bike, all Dura-Ace other than the cranks (47t/38 FSA chainrings) and 12-27 cassette which are Ultegra. Ritchey WCS seatpost, Easton EA-50 stem, Ritchey Pro 26.0 bar. Gnarly old Bontrager saddle.

I've glued 13 tires this week too.

5 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Jeremy Burlingame said...

Cool bike, is that what you're riding this season?

jeremyb

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Nah, this is my friend's bike. I'll probably take some pic's of my bikes whe all the sponsor stuff shows up, but the frames are the ones from last year.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Rye said...

DJ Snead, spin'n the vinyl & da wrenches wit' style.

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Josh,

What are you using as the front brake hanger on that yellow Rock Lobster? A modified rear (seatpost) hanger? I have seen this set-up done before and gather that it may be common, but it is not common out here and I would love to see an even better pic (maybe from the side. Is that hanger piece between the stem and the face plate? And if so, I am assuming it is thin enough to not endanger your bars being clamped down properly? I'm getting into cross but I am not a super mechanic, so any info/extra pics/how-to websites would be greatly appreciated.

Happy trails
Chris

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Yeah, you've got the idea. Yes, it's a guide that's usually used at the seattube-collar; no, it doesn't affect the interface between the bar and stem. There's just enough room for everything to tighten down correctly. There are other stems that this works with, but usually there is a bit of modification to the hanger that's involved.

This setup works really well, it's how I set up my bikes and I've been doing it for a couple years now with no problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home