Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Alright! I now have 2 UCI points.

Today went pretty well and I achieved my goal of a top 10 finish, I was 9th. The race was held on a tough but very straight-forward course. It was a paved, headwindy climb, some barriers, a steep thingy that was just ridable a mud bog and lots of swoopy dirt roads that ended up feeling like singletrack because of the path that was worn in the leaves and pine needles.

I started hard and got myself up into the top 10 and was finally able to stay there for the entire race. I got to battle with Jeremy Powers, Johnny Sundt, Mark McCormack for the first few laps, and as things sorted out I ended up with Justin Spinnelli, Matt Kraus and another guy that I don't know. We were basically battling for 10th by that point so I am very happy that I was able to seal the deal in the final laps. Only Justin was able to beat me at the end (which I'm sure will thrill e-richie!).

I'm hopeful for tomorrow, sounds like the course might not be as rough with the hard climb. I felt really fast on the few technical parts that ther were and I'm pretty sure that my new bikes sizing and geometry is a big advantage now that I'm totally accustomed to it.

This is a big confidence booster for me after having a couple really tough weeks in the east and sure enough "the form" seems to be coming around. I didn't want to race at all today so that's good. I'll be glad to get back home!

5 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Zoo said...

Good job josh!! I saw you at the race today but wasn't 100% sure if it was you, I'll have to say hi tomorrow if I see you. Barbara isn't racing for Velo Bella anymore ey? I think I saw her in a Joe's Bike Shop uniform. Good luck tomorrow, sounds like the course may be a bit more to my liking.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Nope, not Barb! She's not racing this year. She's still doing the VB thing, but she's had a weird fatigue kind of problem that has kept her from training.

Thanks for the props, it's nice to feel like I'm comin' up!

I'm hoping the course won't have that nasty climb and some more twistys or something to slow the speed down tomorrow, today's track was kind of a no-brainer.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger e-RICHIE said...

"Only Justin was able to beat me at the end (which I'm sure will thrill e-richie!)."

here. channel this:
http://tinyurl.com/yxjeo6

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Barb said...

I guess he got me back for that one...

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Hooptie said...

Nice work on the points! Bring on Nats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home