Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Coppoporolis is bound to be hard...

...when the likes of Levi Leipheimer shows up. That guy is a friggin' bike riding robot. It was a really hard race, as it always is, but with Levi, BJM, Jackson Stewart, John Hunt, etc. are all in attendance you can be assured that there will not be many finishers! The field wasn't that big to start with which makes it even worse. This might have been partly due to a crit being put on by the Velo Squirrels today as well.

The I went around for the first 2 laps, keeping out of trouble and watching everyone get flats. I went through a pot hole going 40 mph on the downhill and I though I'd broken a spoke. The wheel still looked straight so kept going. As we started our 3rd lap Levi attacked through the feed zone and I didn't hold his wheel, even though I'd been sitting on it for the last 10 miles. It was ridiculous, that guy is so fast. I came apart on the climb. My tire was rubbing my frame when I stood to climb and it was making noise so I stopped to switch wheels with my teammate, Dennis Guikema, who had a flat earlier on. That put my even farther behind the chasing group but I still felt like trying to race. As I was going along on the flats above the big climb with another guy when a car comes burning past us with who else but Dave Fuentes tucked nicely in its draft... That guy just can't seem to race and not cheat. And he wears headphones while racing, which I feel is insulting. I pretty much pulled the plug after that and rode back to our sweet RV, Big Red.

Many may have noticed Big Red in the last few weeks, we had it out at the Pilarcitos races a few weeks back and we drove it to Copperopolis this week! Elliot Jaramillo, team member and ancient warlord is the proud owner of this monstrosity and he and Brian Rutherford have done a hell of a job fixing it up and getting it set for use by the team for racing. The thing sleeps 4 easily and is totally punk rock. Elliot had it out at the feed zone, which means we had to turn it around in the street and drive it back down the narrow road. When groups of riders came past, we were pulling off to the side to let them pass. Finally we hit a soft spot and sure enough- mired. We had that thing sunk on one side right to the running boards. It did not look good. We were really tired, and pissed that our glorious RV was stuck, embarrasingly on the race course. But, luckily enough a trio of helpful and enthusiastic Safeway Bagboys opted to lend a hand and give 'er a push! Incredibly, after some rocking and pushing we managed to get Big Red free! We left a 30' long, foot deep burnout in that mud! It looked like there had been a truck pull contest there. We rewarded our samaritans with a 22oz chocolate stout and hit the road. From there it was a smooth voyage back to Oakland. It was fun even though out of our team of 6, not one of us finished the race!

10 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Hey Man, at least you were there racing that thing......with guys like Levi there racing, I would've just given up all hope!

And what is up with Fuentes??? Does that guy not understand???

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I can't imagine what he's thinking. I don't know the guy at all, but he's really impressed me by his actions during and after his suspension. Today he might have had a flat and it might have just seemed like a good idea at the time to draft back to the group, I don't know. He also might have just gotten dropped on the climb. But I would think that either way, after returning to nor-cal racing after a doping suspension, he'd make some effort to act as if he's really the kind of guy that wouldn't cheat. Particularly since he's never made any admission of guilt or apology to anyone regarding his previous CHEATING at bike races. This ain't the tour de france, buddy. Your team doesn't just take a fine in swiss francs. If you draft back to the group it's against the rules. And you have to face the reality- you're cheating in the hopes of winning a velo promo t-shirt.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Exactly - that's exactly it. I mean, geezo, the dude dopes to win Cali races.....and now he's doing this kinda stuff? I mean, I just don't get it. What is he trying to prove? Ugh. I just don't know.

On a side note, did you guys do the bikie-fun stuff with Bjorn this past week???

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

damn, that's a hard race.

a hard frickin' race.

but fun. now that i'm drinking.

~

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Tis' quite a toughy. And a bit of the old hooch after the fact certainly does seem to help!

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had half a bottle of wine when I had dinner.

The race seemed much less hard after that. :)

I seemed to race much much better in my stories also.

I love C-opolis. Its a good course and lots of peeps come out to do it. Good combo.

Big Red was SWEEEEET.

I'll have to ask my buddy Chad if he can get me a tour.

ms

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Heck yes, you can get a tour! Chad was riding really well yesterday till his look pedal came apart and his bottle cage came off. Copperopolis is a cool race and it is "fun", I guess. I like the course and I don't mind the rough roads. But 5 laps?! I have a hard time imagining myself doing well at a race this long and rugged. BTW, I ran Vittoria Special Pave' 25s @ 93lbs front, 95lbs rear- this really makes the course more do-able!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Way to go mr Fuentes. Continuing to piss people off whenever possible.

Oy.

So, did you guys actually spend the night in your rig in Milton? That's pretty brave!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Oh yes, out behind the big creepy barn! We heard bats or owls or nighthawks or something flying around and squaking. That dog at the neighbors house would flip out and bark every time we got up to pee. I heard some sweet coyotes yippin' last year when I slept in the back of my pickup, it was a lot colder out last year!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

i take it back.

you are beyond brave.

crazy is more like it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home