Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

AARGH! Car trouble!

I didn't get to go down to Satan Cruz Crit today. I had everything ready to go- training was perfect all week. Into the truck went my perfectly clean and prepped bike+ bottles, kit, helmet, license, rollers, pump, shoes, spare wheels, snacks, tools. I'm dressed, caffinated, defecated (sorry), hydrated and fed. I gassed up the truck, took a movie back to the rental place and headed out to pick up my dad who was coming with me to spectate and get some photos.

I changed the oil in the truck day before yesterday in anticipation of Barb and I's trip to the desert that's coming up. There's been a "service engine soon" light on for the last couple weeks that has come on and off over the last few years. We've found that it gets triggered by the gas cap not being screwed all the way in, wet weather and Michael Jackson songs. So we've just been ignoring it. For the last couple weeks.

I've kind of noticed that the engine has a kind of "knocking" noise to it at certain RPMs lately, but it's pretty subtle so I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination or not. But when I got my Dad in the truck as we headed off to the race he mentioned it after a half hour of driving. So, not my imagination! I turned back. It totally sucked, I really wanted to race today but better safe than sorry. I'll takethe truck in for service tomorrow, it's probably nothing. So, needless to say, I went out on a rather aggressive training ride.

My team rode killer in my abscence, Christian was 6th! That was a very good result for him, so at least that went well.

3 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

That sux! But, I know the feeling.....my truck bit the dust with a mysterious fuel leak. Better safe than sorry....like you said.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Barb said...

I think it'll be ok, I'll take it in today and hope for the best. Not getting to race will hopefully be the worst of it.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger swiggco world said...

Your team could have used you. Healthnet was firing some big-ass ammo yesterday. Cal Giant was no slouch. Your guys worked their asses off, Dennis early on, Christian later then Hoopdy and Odell trying to bring back a breakaway that had two healthnuts in it. Cal giant chased as well and the nuts got caught but just as soon as that happened, Menzies laid it down. Christian had a really tough last 5 laps, guys were getting shelled left and right but he held his position and finished really well. I can't wait to see what happens when the whole team is in force with you, Jamiel and Mondonkey. Cheers, you report from Swiggco where the name goes on before the bottle is drained.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home