Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Simple Simon was a pie-man.


At this time I'd like to raise a glass to my friend and teammate, Simon Vickers. He and I have had some times on the road this year, and the season's not done yet. We've both gotten our asses kicked in some fairly exotic locales like New York, Massachusets and Colorado- not to mention here in California.

I've personally had more races than I care to admit that have ended in some rather dark and unhappy moods. Simon has suffered in a similar fashion, and I think sharing that misery has been helpful for the both of us. In these situations, we've managed to make fun of one another until we both got a good laugh at the others expense and opened beers 'till we no longer cared.

Simon's currently got me beat as far as reasons to feel bad about one's self- he took a pretty savage crash-up in CO and is still off the bike. Word is that he won't be racing at this weekend's Velo Bella race and is not planning on attending the USGP races in the northwest. I'm hopeful that he'll be back on his bike soon and that he can find some good condition for nationals!

9 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger swiggco world said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger swiggco world said...

I wouldn't call him simple....I think he has complexity like a fine claret-otherwise he wouldn't be where he is today. While being competetive like yourself ( the one and only Snead) he also has other interests-mainly the pursuit of some clever midgets. Like a bad crash, these midgets can lead a man to a nasty fall on the ass....all have experienced this at one time or another. It is the way that Simon will recover from this fall that we will see the true depth of his character.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Simon is top class. I can't think of a better teammate and travelling companion- we've had some pretty memorable adventures. I'll miss him this weekend in OR and WA, and I hope he's good to go for some later races including nat's... he's got a score to settle at that one! I think he can put the midgets behind him and re-emerge as a deadly threat on the cyclocross track!

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah gay love. So tender. The gentle swaying of your hoop earring as you take it in the pooper..
Say, is it true that people race cyclocross because they are too weak to road race and too scared to mountain bike race?
Reality check concluded..we now return you to your self-delusion and fantasies of grandeur.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Barb said...

It's all true. Cyclocross is widely known as the easiest form of bike racing. Thanks for the perspective, imaginative anonymous poster!

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

more pictures, please.

brenty spilled that there's a full spread.

mmm ... so tender.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Barb said...

All in good time, Mr. V all in good time...

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh
As you may recall while we were in Gloucester, MA when I first met Simon I did not have my glasses so was unable to see the hilarity of your dress-up party. Please post these so I might see the reason that the Lady Jane herown Self might have been so amused.
-Ken

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger gwadzilla said...

not sure what he looked like before
but it looks like he took a hit on the head

what is that garb he is dressed up in?

is he in a Ricola ad?

okay...
I look like the Notre Dame mascot everyday
at 6'4"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home