Quick and Dirty

Hey sicko, get your mind out of the gutter. This is about bike racing. And some other stuff.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Wente roller derby race



Yesterdays crit was really a lot more fun than I expected. My job was to get in breaks, attack the race and make the race fast. I was feeling great and I did just what I said I would- attack with reckless abandon! This is a really fun way to race when you have good legs, I felt like I could do whatever I wanted.

Unfortunately, a very good break of 7-8 guys got up the road and none of my team was in there. The gap was around 20 seconds and Wohlberg was really driving the move. So, against all odds, I witnessed the impossible: all my teammates organizing at the front! I punched it to get there and do my part, it was pretty awesome! We with 4 to go we drilled it for a couple laps and brought the gap down to under 10 seconds. Lombardi took over after that and finished the job, catching the break in the last 300m.

Rob was our best finisher, I think within the top 10. But the big achievement of the day was the cohesive teamwork that we are finally beginning to use. I had a really good time at this race, and even if we didn't get much of a result we looked really cool when we were bringing back the break!

Another highlight was racing with the internet's own Olaf Vanderhoot! That bugger can really crank it up coming out of the corners! I think he tried to help me get a prime at one point when we were off the front, but I didn't really take advantage of it. Fun!

3 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

solid ride, DJ.

yeah, when i looked back and you gave me the tongue-wag - my nod to you was indication that i was gonna give you the lead-out fo' da cash.

and when i say, 'hit it,' that means hit it, baby. when the lombardi yokel took off on the right, if you'da gone when i first said, you'da slotted into his draft and had a chance to jump around him for the money.

then again, i coulda had the gas to take you a bit closer to the line.

ugh...that was a beefy headwind finish.

- - -

must say, the new RHVilla kit looks pretty sparkley.

yummy.

definitely a good ride for you guys out there. that's cool to see.
~m

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Thanks man! I didn't know that was a prime lap actually... From now on when OV says jump, I'll be jumpin'! Thanks for the props!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

well, if you're on a bike

if you're standing on top of a tall building, i might think twice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home